Wednesday, May 6, 2015

SALMON CAKES THAT SING!

Is there a dish you thought your parents were crazy for eating and equally awful for making you try it?  Well, this is my dish (along with cow tongue) that I thought I never needed to eat again….until I gained an appreciation for my parents (raising me to try all foods) and a love of cooking myself!  I still don’t like cow tongue, but salmon cakes have become one of my favorite ways to have protein.  This salmon cake can be served as a burger, by itself with some vegetables, along with a healthy grain, like quinoa or over mixed greens.  

The difference here is that, this is NOT the salmon cake my Mom made for me.  I added red peppers, horseradish and Old Bay Seasoning for a creole flair, omitted the breadcrumbs and added extra egg whites for protein and to help bind it together.  I also switched from regular mayonnaise to light (not fat free). You don’t miss the extra fat from the mayonnaise because the horseradish backs it up with flavor and a gentle heat.  

I am happy to eat my words with this one….Thanks Mom & Dad….for making me try all foods!   

     

Creole Salmon Cakes        Serves 8
Alice Conradt

6 - 5oz cans of boneless/skinless salmon (fresh caught)
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
3 Egg whites
1/4-1/3 cup light mayonnaise
2 Tbsp hot horseradish
1-2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning

*Salt & pepper to taste if necessary

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until well incorporated, (making sure egg whites are evenly distributed).  Patties should be moist, not too wet or too dry.  Test one cake by placing some of the mixture on you grill pan and cook thoroughly, taste and adjust seasoning accordingly.

Scoop into 4oz portions and press into patties. Cook on a grill pan or non-stick skillet on medium heat until brown on both sides and heated through (approximately 5 minutes each side).  

Serve with Horseradish mayonnaise or tzatziki sauce.  

No comments:

Post a Comment