Sunday, March 6, 2016

Healthier Chicken Piccata

Do you have that ONE dish that someone in your family loves and they ask for it almost weekly?  I definitely do…my spouse LOVES Chicken Piccata!  I hated making it because it has lots of steps, uses lots of dishes and it’s messy, PLUS it always left the kitchen smelling like grease!  UGH!

I set out to make a version that worked for me and would allow my spouse to get their favorite dish more often but in a healthier way.  Eating chicken dredged in flour and fried in oil is NOT a meal you want to put in your body often, so… I cut out the oil and the flour and made my baked version instead.

The great thing is that I had less mess, I could walk away while the chicken was in the oven (since I didn’t have to watch it fry) all of that without missing any flavor!  WINNERS ALL AROUND!

     

Chicken Piccata       Serves 6
Alice Conradt

4 Organic chicken breasts (cut into cutlets or small strips) and pounded to ½ inch thick
Salt & Pepper
Non-stick cooking spray
¼ cup dry white wine (optional)
2 tsp minced garlic
1 ½ - 2 cups organic chicken stock
¼ cup fresh lemon juice (about the juice of 3 lemons)
2 additional lemons for slicing
1 jar of capers drained (found near olives in the grocery store)
1-2 Tbsp butter (good quality)

¼ cup water
1 Tbsp corn starch

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Season both sides of pounded chicken breasts with salt and pepper

Spray a sheet pan and arrange chicken breasts to fit.  Bake for approximately 20 minutes, turning one time halfway through cooking process.

In the meantime, add garlic, chicken stock, wine (if using) and lemon juice to a large skillet over med/high heat.  Bring to a boil and reduce to med/low.  Cook to soften garlic and infuse flavor into stock and reduce by approximately 1/3 (should take 7-10 minutes).  Add capers, and water mixed with cornstarch to make a slurry (add slowly to thicken to desired consistency).  Cook for approximately 5 minutes.  Add lemon slices and baked chicken pieces.  Turn to coat a few times and continue to warm through until ready to serve.    

No comments:

Post a Comment