Sunday, March 6, 2016

Spicy Asian Green Beans

I don’t know about you, but I LOVE food with great flavor and a little kick!  One of my most favorite vegetables lately are green beans.  I love the color and the crunch and how versatile they are with many combinations.  I must confess, this is my “go to” when I want some heat and intense flavor!  

I created a modified version of one I found.  The original called for much more oil and regular soy sauce.  The extra oil was totally unnecessary and added tons of calories and fat and the soy sauce added GMO’s and lots of sodium, so I bumped up the flavor by adding more ginger (to aid in digestion, help to detoxify the body and decrease inflammation) used organic Tamari instead of soy sauce (tamari is GMO free, unlike soy sauce, has high antioxidant properties and because it is fermented, the nutrients have been preserved and are more easily digested), then I added red chili flakes for a little more heat!  

If you are feeling like a little spice….give these a try!  Don’t like green beans?  No problem…Snap Peas are an awesome substitute!  


Spicy Asian Green Beans             Serves 4
Alice Conradt

1lb organic green beans or snap peas (rinsed)
1 small shallot minced
4 large cloves minced garlic
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
2-3 teaspoons sesame or peanut oil
2-3 Tbsp tamari sauce
½ tsp red pepper flakes  

Heat a large skillet or wok on high for 3-5 minutes.  Add oil, garlic, shallots and ginger and stir until oil becomes fragrant, reduce heat to medium and add beans/snap peas, toss until coated and beans become caramelized.  Add tamari sauce and pepper flakes,and continue to toss for 1-2 more minutes or until sauce has reduced or has absorbed into the vegetables.  The beans should still be crisp!  

Transfer to a plate and serve.  

No comments:

Post a Comment